Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Winter Break in Jamaica!


posted by: Joshabel
Over the winter break I chose to take a class that is called the Jamaica Service Learning Trip. As a first time visitor to Jamaica I was totally amazed by the exposure that we got to the whole Jamaican culture. We lived like typical students would live in a dorm in Jamaica at the United Theological College in Kingston . We visited the Bob Marley Museum and The Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee Factory(Jablum). We also visited Lime Cay, which is a cool beach off of the coast of Jamaica. Then we lived at Pringle Home: a home for children that was located in the mountains of Jamaica . I, along with a remarkable group of six other girls, worked at Pringle Home where we went to Carron Hall High School or Carron Hall Primary School . At Carron Hall High School we taught classes in all different types of subjects, such as Literature, Food & Nutrition, Principles of Business and Accounts; I taught Spanish to grades seven through eleven. The Rider University students that were at the primary school taught letters, math, and everything in between to kids ages three through five. When we got out of the schools for the day we did everything from tutor Pringle Home Students to just talk to them. Then one of the highlights of my day was when I got to teach them ballet and they taught me some reggae moves like the dutty wind and others. We also ate all meals with the kids up at Pringle and we hosted an ice cream party before we left.
It was truly the most heart-warming point of the whole experience. Lastly, we
lived in Columbus Heights , a luxurious complex that overlooked all of Ochi, or Ocho
Rios. We taught at Iona School during the day and were free during the afternoons and evenings. This was overall the best experience I've had in my whole Rider career and I recommend anyone that can experience this to do it.
Yeah mon!

Joshabel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home