Saturday, November 18, 2006

Amazing Week

posted by: Joshi

This past week was absolutely AMAZING! I had the opportunity to go to the N.A.C.A. conference out in Lancaster, P.A., even though I had two weekend duty days I was able to go, because I had someone cover for me, and gain knowledge and RELAX for a couple of days. I was able to see a bunch of comedians, musicians, and motivational speakers and even choose a couple that will be at Rider University very soon! I was so excited to be chosen to go and I can't even explain how important this weekend was to me because it provided me with a much needed diversion!

Another thing that happened this week was the BEGINNING OF HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH!!! This means that L.A.S.O. also had their Opening Ceremony for their month this week! As the Vice President of L.A.S.O. I put together an opening ceremony that included good Spanish food, and an amazingly inspirational leader and Rider alum, Gerson Martinez. He put a message into everyone's minds that said that in order to become successful in the future we must understand and KNOW our past! He spoke to us about all the trials that our ancestors went through to be able to get us where we are now! Many thanks go out to Gerson Martinez for that speech!! One of the last phenomenal things that I got to do this week, actually today, was speak to the Board of Trustees on improvements. Since I am the Diversity Chair of the Student Government Association, I was able to speak about the C.U.R.E. (Creating, Understanding, Respecting, Exploring) the difference between
Domestic and International Diversity.
I spoke about our missions within the mission and the identification of barriers that the multicultural students are feeling. Don't get me wrong, we are ALL multicultural students because America is an immigrant nation, and there are many different ethnicities, races, and cultures, but, different cultures have had different experiences in developing their culture. What CURE is trying to do is make students aware of these experiences and allowing
others to acculturate with one another! I will definitely keep y'all up
to date on this!
The last thing that happened to me was that I got the sweetest Halloween candy grams from my residents!! I love being an RA to these girls (KNoCK on WoOd!!) I could only hope that they would grow into even more positive role models on campus!!

Joshii!!

Understand Your Past in order to Know How to Succeed in the Future!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home