Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Eye-Opening Week

posted by: Joshabel
topic: WOW! This past week felt like it was the longest week ever! I had two midterms in one day! I'm so glad that midterms are over, but this also means that I have to work harder to get great grades! I needed a break so I went home this weekend, and it was a well deserved break! Today, I got to present myself as a possible candidate for the Community Standards Board at Senate and I got in!! The Community Standards Board holds disciplinary hearings for students. There are two students and an administrator present to hear your case and everyone has an equal say in the process. The fact that students are allowed to be in this process is extremely important to me and it allows us to have input in what the outcome should be for our fellow peers. We have to be openminded and listen to everything that people have to say. We should do this because we should base our decisions on what they are presenting to us not our previous notions of the person. Another important thing that happened this week is that I saw two unbelievably eye-opening movies: INVISIBLE CHILDREN and An Inconvenient Truth. These powerful movies both have totally different points. Invisible Children is about children in Uganda that are abducted and turned into soldiers at the age of 5. An Inconvenient Truth speaks of the Global Warming Crisis! it is amazing how the world isn't taking action. I'm going to take responsibility for my emotions and say that it is amazing that I did not educate myself about this up until now! It only took three college students to make the Invisible Children movie, to make a difference in the world and it only took one person to challenge us to stand up and take a stand up against the Global Warming Crisis. They've already started and that's always the hardest part of a movement, now what are you going to do about it?

JOSHII
"Be the change you want to see in the world."-Mohatma Gandhi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home