Friday, October 20, 2006

Great Opportunity

posted by: Kathleen
topic: This weekend I went with a few of my sorority sisters to see my real little sister at her high school homecoming football game, because she got senior class princess on the homecoming court! She had a little section of screaming alpha xi deltas holding signs. I loved that I was able to bring my friends back to where I grew up.

Most importantly, I recently got a great opportunity, that I finally have pictures for! While I was studying abroad in London last semester, my advisor sent me an email about a scholarship from the American Women in Radio and Television. She wrote that I should try for the scholarship because it represents exactly what I want to do with my career. So while I was in London, I had my fiancee gathering my transcript request forms, and other papers like faculty reccomendations, to send them out as soon as possible, because if I mailed them from London, my application would have been late. But the best part, obviously, was that I won the scholarship!
I went to CBC Studios to receive the check and attend an event around me and a speaker, a co-anchor of the CBS Early Show. It was really exciting! I "networked" and met all different kinds of people from places like ABC, Lifetime, CBC and NBC. But most of all, I also get a shadowing opportunity where I get to hang out with people like Charlie Gibson from the ABC News! And this week, I am going to the Yale Club of New York, a female "gentlemen's club" where I will attend a luncheon with the big wigs in the media about reality television. I have all the awesome opportunities to get started in the career I want to have! I can't even tell you how happy I am that my advisor sent me the email.

Also, this past Tuesday, the News at Rider taped a special show that we are going to enter in college broadcasting competitions. The best thing about it, (besides me of course!) is that one of the students got an interview with former president Bill Clinton. Hopefully, we get some kind of cool recognition for it.

So look out for me on TV sometime, I may be telling you the news!

~Katie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home