Monday, April 02, 2007

Luncheon

posted by: Katie

Usually my weeks are very busy, and this past week was no exception, but it was all busy fun! Last week, when I was in New York for my internship, I attended a luncheon at the Princeton Club with featured speaker Anchor Soledad O'Brien from American Morning from CNN. My aunt, who lives in New York, found out about the luncheon since she is an alumni of the college that helped organize the event. So I took a taxi to the Princeton Club, ate a really nice lunch, and spoke to people that were involved in the media. I sat with a woman from the Bravo Network and talked with her a lot during the luncheon, trying to network and talk to women in the business already. But when Soledad came on, I was so surprised at how funny and interesting she was. I almost expected the speaker to talk about how she juggles her career and her huge family, which she did discuss, but she was a great speaker that entertained me while I learned something. I got advice from her during her speech, because I want to become an anchor as well, and I learned how she got her foot in the door in a business that's tough.

Another super fun event this weekend was Bid Day! It's the day that all the fraternities and sororites find out who their new members are, and they run up onto the balcony of the student center, and all the members of each chapter scream and yell below. Everybody screams their chapter songs and chants. It's a huge tradition here at Rider, and it's one of my favorites. It was my last Bid Day too, so it was a little depressing. After the balcony, each chapter goes back to their house on campus, and has a little dance party, or at least we do. We have music and pizza and we give our new members gifts, like picture frames with our mascot on them. We also took a great picture of all the girls in the house that are lettered - meaning that they are able to wear their boyfriend's fraternity letters, which is a huge deal. Even though it was my last Bid Day, I still went to work back home, but came back as soon as I could that night. I'll definetly miss this event when I graduate, along with everything else that I've done here at Rider.

~Katie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home