Thursday, March 27, 2008

Student Support Services

posted by: Georgina


The Trio Program is making a difference all across New Jersey. It helps middle school and high school students acheive success in their educations. On a third level, the program aids students obtaining a bachelors through graduate school. I am proud to announce that I am apart of the Trio Program on the college level called "Student Support Services". SSS helps financially disadvantaged, disabled, and first generation students obtain a college degree. They also provide counseling and tutoring services.
SSS has left a mark on my life. I am paying for my own education. My family cannot afford to offer me any assistance. SSS, has helped take the burden of financing a private education, off my shoulders. The SSS staff of Rider are sweethearts. They are also professionally commited to student success. Recently, I took a trip to Washinton, DC with SSS.
I absolutely love History, politics, and DC. The trip was amazing. SSS went to Washington in order to lobby for an increase of funding of the Trio Program. We spoke personally to Senator Menendez and also communicated our cause to Senator Lautenburg's chief assistant Apryl. Our goal is to have a senators vote on increasing the Federal grant money to Trio. Every year the cost of living increases. However, for almost three years the amount of money awarded to Trio has remained the same. Therefore, it was time for Rider SSS students to pay the capitol a visit. Everything was paid for in full for those students who volunteered to go to DC and speak with the senators. There was no way that I was going to miss that opportunity!

1 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger t3chn0n3rd said...

I liked reading your blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home