Thursday, February 16, 2006

A slower weekend?



posted by: Katie

My weekend was pretty slow I suppose, if there is such thing as slow in the major metropolitan city of London. My friends and I walked around on Friday, mainly because it has been so nice outside! I always expected England to be gloomy and raining all the time, but by some miracle, the sun shines and the sky is blue. So we make sure to take advantage of that.

After a few hours of walking around and just window shopping, a bunch of us decided to go to the British Museum. There are so many interesting things there! Ancient articles such as Greecian statues, Roman money uncovered from archeological digs here in England, to even a 6000 year old man, preserved of course. I looked at many things that I've read about in history books, like the Rosetta Stone, and the Elgin Marbles from the Parthenon in Athens, Greece. It was all so fascinating, there was so much history there, probably more than any museum I could go to in the US.

Saturday my friends and I went to Warwick Castle, one of the oldest castles in England. However, it was renovated majorly during the Victorian period. But a part of the castle, the part built in the 1100's is still on a high hill in the middle of the courtyard. It was so pretty and picturesque there-I was so happy to finally be at a castle in England! It reminds me of the storybook kind of England that I really wanted to see. There were dungeons to explore, as well as state rooms that dukes and duchesses, and perhaps a king or queen in the past, stayed the night it. It was so interesting to hear all the stories of royalty that passed through the gates of Warwick Castle.

Lately, midterms have been coming up. I'm not quite sure what to expect, so I have been studying like crazy. There's so much information, information that I have never learned in the States! Hopefully I'll do well and come back to Rider with the classes that I need. I've spent almost all my time this weekend trying to study the material. Hopefully I'll do well. Wish me luck!

~Katie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home