Thursday, March 23, 2006

Spring Break: Part II

posted by: Katie

I took a little bit more of a spring break, and when I left Spain, I flew back to England and my boyfriend came to visit me for his (Rider's) spring break. We then went to Salzburg, Austria for 4 days and had a blast.

The first full day we were there we went to the Hoensalzburg Fortress. It's one of the oldest fortresses in Europe, built around 900 A.D. by the archbishops, the rulers of the principality, before it became part of Austria. It was huge! It's located in the center of the city, but on the highest cliff! It can be seen from anywhere in the city, and it is immense. Inside it was really interesting, since it was a fortress, it had so much inside, it was like a little city within it. We went on the tour of the fortress and learned about Salzburg's history.

We then went down Salzburg's major street, where all the shops are. The street had signs over every shop. They were very pretty. The signs were a tradition nowadays, since long ago the people couldn't read, they would look on the signs above the shop and learn what kind of shop it was by what was pictured.

Salzburg is also the birthplace of Mozart, so there was so much of him around the town, everyone was selling things with his name or picture on it. .

We got to see the house he lived in before he became famous, the one he was born in. It was so interesting to see something about someone so famous and well known as Mozart and where he began it all.

Austria was a beautiful country, and so much snow! The mountains were so beautiful. Sadly, I'm not a skier so I couldn't experience the mountains as most people who go to Austria do. I hope to go back when it's warmer one day, and see the city in a new light.

I'll tell you about the tour I took in Austria soon, the Sound of Music Tour! There's so much to say about that!

Katie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home